Saturday, January 2, 2016

A New Cat Tutorial For 2016--My Step-by-Step Process

Welcome  to  2016  everyone!   I've  decided  to  start  out  the  year  again  with  another  piece  of  cat  art,  since my   cat  tutorial  from  a  year  ago  was  SO  popular.   So  here's  another  cat  tutorial  for  you--basically  the  same  thing--just  a  little  bit  of  a  variation  from  the  original.
My  new  cat--



.....and  back  to  the  beginning  of  it--

Once  again  I  warmed  up  by  getting  out  my  Gelli® plate  and  my  paints  and  brushes  and  had  some  fun--


.....and  again  I'm  just  using  here  110lb  card stock  that  I  find at  my  local  office  supply  store  (Staples).  I  also  like  to   use   scrapbook  papers   that   I'm  not  too  crazy  about  that  I   get  in  the  pads  --they work  great,  and  you  can  get  some  of  the  background  design  of  the  paper  to  peak   through  if  you  like  or  cover  it  up  completely--the  heavier  scrapbook  papers  hold  up  really  well  to  layers  of  paint.  And  book  pages  are  fun  to  use  also--good  ones  are  the  over-sized  children's  picture dictionaries  or  story  books (depending  on  the  paper--they  also  hold  up  well  to  anything  that  you  may  want  to  do to  them).

I  chose  my  'color  palette'  for  my  6 x 18  birch  cradle  board--


.....and  made  my  background  with  my  papers--



.....and  then  I  outlined  the  moon  on one  of  my  papers from  the  template  that  I  made,  got  out  my  gel  medium,  put  it  on  my  surface,  and  then  added  some  washi  tape  borders.....



next--I  drew  my  cat  template,  cut  it  up  and  numbered  it  for  my  papers  that   I  chose  to  use  for  the  cat--


--after  that,  got  the  gel  medium  out  again  and  placed  my  cat  on  the  moon  along  with  some  scattered  stars--



This  is  when  you  want  to  bring  the  cat  out  of  the  background  by highlighting  and  shading  areas  of  it    I  used  my  inktense  blocks  for  this  part.   If  you're  not  familiar  with  these,  they're  watercolor sticks.   You  just  color  in  the  area  with  them  and  then  apply  water--the  difference  is  that  they're  made  with  ink  and  are  very  intense  color  (I  guess  that's  why  they're  called  inktense).  They  did  exactly  what  I  wanted  them  to  do--


You  can  also  see  here  that  I  outlined  everything  with  black--still  using  my  favorite  permanent  pen  that  I  used  last  year--my  Fude  Ball  pen.
And  I  also  let  my  muse  take  over  and  let  the  piece  tell  me  what  else  it  needed.   I  added  some  ephemera  flowers  on  the  body  and  along  the  border--

And  I  added  the word 'wish'......and  a  little  more  embellishing...



......and  also finishing up the sides.......



So  now  that  it's  all  finished,  it's  ready  to  find  a  new  home--it's  for  sale  in  my  Etsy  shop, which  you  can  find  HERE.



....or....start  playing, and  make  a  cat  (or  whatever  you  want)  using  papers  that  you've  painted--it's  fun  seeing  your  art  progress  along  the  way--the  more  you  play,  the  more  you  want  to  play!  :-)

11 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

AMAZING!
Happy New Year!
oxo
Susi

Anonymous said...

Enchanting and Inspiring as always! Thanks for always presenting your fabulous artwork!! Teri in Costa Rica

Chris Lally said...

What fun! Thank you so much for sharing your work and your process!

espenavarro said...

it,s marbellous, thanks dear friend!



Createology said...

Lovely Cat Collage. I first thought it was created out of fabrics. Thank you for sharing your Gelli paper process. 2016 will be an amazing year...

Deanna said...

Just adorable!!! Love every bit of it!

Juls said...

Fabulous!! I so love your work xx

Annmarie said...

I love it, the cat is so adorable and the colours are fabulous!

Gathering Stars said...

Just looking at this makes me smile!!!!

Lori from Gathering Stars Studio

Unknown said...

Beautiful! What do you seal it with? Glaze or Decopauge?

Unknown said...

Beautiful! What do you seal it with? Glaze or Decopauge?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails