Sunday, October 25, 2015

New Art--Start to Finish

I  had  a  great  show  these  last  2  weekends--very  busy--not  much  time  to  make  any  new  art.  Needless to  say,  I  missed  my  art  room,  playing  with  paint--just  playing.  So  it  felt  good  to  do  just  that.   Here's  the  outcome  of  my  latest  playtime--



....now let  me  back  up  and show  you  the  transformation  of  this  once  old,  shabby,  dirty,  forgotten  cupboard  door....

first  step--add  some  book  pages  in  the  center  of  the  door--


... then  adding  some  Golden  fluid  acrylics Yellow  Ochre  and  Indian  Yellow  Hue (one  of  my  favorite  color  combinations)  to  the  sides  and  inside  lip  of  the  center--next--


....taking  those  same  colors  plus  some  Titan Buff  and  painting  over  the  text,  but  making  sure  not  to  completly  cover  it--I  like  the  texture  that  the  text  gives

Now  it  was  time  to  get  out  papers  that  I've  been  painting  (a  lot  of  them  were  from  my  workshop  that  I  taught  back  in  September)--

  
and  I  made some  new  textured  ones  too--


I  used  these  papers for  the  'frame'  of  the  piece--


I  don't  always  start  with  the  frame  of  the  door  when  I  do  these.  Sometimes  I  make  my  main  image  first,  which  helps  me  determine  how  I  want  to  do  the  frame.   But  this  time,  it  was  the  other  way  around--the  frame  told  me  what  colors  to  use  for  the  focal  point  of  the  piece.    Next,  was  the  main  image  with  some  more  paper  play--



And  then  back  to  my  favorite  paints--Golden  Fluid  acrylics  and  a touch  of  Prisma  NuPastels  
(a  hard  chalk  pastel--love  working  with  these)


so  happy  with  the  texture  and  layers  of  this  piece--





I  really  enjoy  working  on  these  cupboard  doors  that  I  find  at   flea  markets  and  garage  sales--found a  bunch  at  the  Springfield  flea  market  too!

Next  post--more  play!

14 comments:

april dawn said...

I love this one! Thank you for sharing your steps.

Susanna said...

Beautiful art ♥

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Such a wonderful piece, so enjoy seeing your process, colour choices and tips along the way.

gwillisinc said...

I love you shared how you do this. Your work is right up my alley

Susan said...

Spectacular! Thanks for including your steps.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I will be on the lookout for cabinet doors now!

Annette said...

oh your art always inspire me always !!!!!! love this Thanks for sharing the process xoxoxo

Gathering Stars said...

Makes me wish I could paint!!!

froebelsternchen said...

Just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the process with us!

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

Such a BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL labor of love right here my friend! Oh the colors and shapes...all so GORGEOUSLY put together! ;)

Melmgh said...

I keep thinking some day I will just sit down and make papers!

Melmgh said...

I keep thinking some day I will just sit down and make papers!

reclaimed dining table said...

This is beautiful! Your art is gorgeous. The colors & the designs are just awesome. I love it!

Frk. Bogstad said...

I love it :)
Brigth colours, flowers - All I need :)
Lovely ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails