Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Here's Some More Ways to Make New Art from Old Art

A  couple  of  you  have  asked  me  how  I  go  about  making  art  from  my  prints--well  actually,  it's  nothing  new  or  different.  I  know  a  lot of  artists  use  their  prints  to  use  in  many  different  forms  (ie. clothing, ceramics, jewelry, etc.  and  even  boxes  ; ),  but  I  like  to  take  them  and  make  all  new art  pieces.  This  comes  in handy  when  you  don't  have  a lot  of  time  and  you  need  to  produce (like the  last  2  weeks, for  example)  Here  are  a  couple  of  pieces  that  I  just  made  last  week,  and  they  really  didn't  take  that  long.    These  are  my  original  garden  girls  that  I   posted   in  the  beginning  of  the  summer--

So  I  decided  that  I  wanted  to  do  something  with  these  2.    And  when  I  make  copies, I  don't  go  to  a  copy  place  or anything.  I  just  print  them  out  on  my  printer.  I  am  no expert when  it  comes  to   any  of  this  stuff,  especially  printers.  I  just  know  that  I  love  mine,  and  the  copies  are  pretty true to  the  color--a  little  different,  but  no one  would  know  that,  except  me.   Also,  I  don't  scan  any  of  my  art ( I  don't  think  I've  made  anything  flat  enough  to  fit  in  a  scanner, to  tell  you  the  truth)  I  just  take  a lot  of  photos everywhere  I  can  find  good  light--inside  and  out  until   I'm  happy  with  the  results.   My  printer  is  a  Canon  MP600,  which  means  nothing  to  me--I  just  know  that  it  produces   good  resolution--listen  to  me--acting  like  I  know  what  I'm  talking  about.   And  I  do  love  my  camera.  It's  a   Sony Cyber-shot--not  the best,  but  still  pretty  good.  I'm  actually  hoping  to  upgrade  soon.  And  before  I  printed  them  out,  I  decided  to  fool  around  with  the  color  a  little  bit.  I  wanted  the  color  a  bit  more  muted. 

What I did was fool  around  with  the  saturation (this is on my program from my Sony camera)--I just took out the brighter colors and their skin tone. The girl on the left is now a brunette.
And  what  I  decided  this  time  was  to  look  for  co-ordinating  papers  that  would  compliment  these.



On  this  one,  I  also  printed  out  another  piece  of  my  artwork  (the  houses)  Those  houses  were  from  the  one  table  that  I  made.  I  found, with  my  camera,   that  instead  of  cropping  photos,  it's  better just  to  take  a lot  of  close  up  shots. 

I  like  to  print  out  my  art  on  this  card  stock  that  I  get  from  Staples (office  supply  store).  It's  nice  and  thick--110 lb.  I  use  the  cream  color, but there  are  many  color  choices  there,  and  of  course  you  can  just  use   white.  And  when  I  want  to  decrease  the  size  of  the  photo,  I  usually use  the  Windows  program  that  is  free  if  you  have  Windows,  and  everyone  does  if  they have  a  PC.   The  program  is  called  the  Windows Picture and Fax viewer,  and  it  gives  you   5  different size  options.  And  if  I  don't  want to us  those  sizes,  I  just  use  my  printer  program  on  my computer  to  decrease  the size  of  the  photo  that  way.  (I  hope  I'm  not  confusing  anyone  even  more)

This  first  one  was  completely  inspired  by  Teresa Magel.  She  is  now  one  of  my  favorite  artists.  I  first  found  out  about  her  when  Lisa  from   The  Wright  Stuff  blogged  about  her  and  some  other  artists.  I  adore  her  faces,  and  how  she  uses  them  in  her  mixed  media  collages--in  this  fashion--


     I  also  wanted  to  tell  you that  the  way  I  adhere  the  images  onto  my  surface  is  with  gel  medium and then  cover it  also with  that  or  matte  medium.   And  yes,  the  colors  run  a  bit,  but  not  much,  and  I  really like  the  smudgy,  shabby  look,  so  that's  good  for  me.  But  I  have  sprayed  a  workable  fixative  on  the  copies,  which  keeps  them  from  running.  On  these,  I  didn't  do  that. 

 I  wanted  to  put  my  own  style  into  this  piece  also,  so  I  put  the  collage  on    2   1/2 inch  wrapped  canvas--this  was  one  measures  9 x 9.  These  are  so  cool--they  look  like  hanging  boxes.



I  also  added  my  extra  collage  elements on  like  these  roses--



I  stenciled  these  on  with  Golden's  light  molding  paste,  and  then  just  painted  them.















And  I  used  a  cupboard  door  face  plate  also  using  Basic Grey  glazed  brads  to  attach  it  to  the  canvas.

Plus  the  coffee-stained  doily.  How  I  adhere  these  doilies or lace  or  any  material  for  that  matter,  I  do  it  with  matte  medium,  and  cover  it  with  the  medium  also,  and  in  this  case,  I  used  a  very  watery  acrylic  wash  of  paint  in  random  spots.  And  then  I  just  seal  it  up  with  the  rest  of  the  piece.   Lately,  I've  been   on a  shiny  kick.  I  would  always   seal  everything  with  a  satin  finish  sealer--now  I've  been  using  a  gloss  varnish  on  everything.   It  covers  the  fiber  very  nicely--it  adds  a  great  texture  to  the  doily--almost  like  sculpture.
I'm  never  sure  how  these  collages  will  turn  out,  but  I  was  loving  this  one  every  step  of  the  way!  And  as  far as  the printed  image,  once  it's  collaged  on  and  all  dry,  I  always  add  color to  the  eyes  and lips,  and  use  a  fine  point  pitt  pen  to  bring  out  details  in the eyes,  nose  and  mouth.  Sometimes  I'll  do  more  with  the  hair  and  skin-tone,  but  not  on  this  one  or  the  other  one  either. 

And  speaking  of  the  other  one,  I  decided to  keep  her   face whole  and  combined  it  with  this  scrapbook  paper  with  the  bird  image--they  went  well  together.


And  on  the  sides  is  where  I  put  some  of  my  house  prints  on--


I  really  liked  the  brass corners  that  I  added.   These  corners  were   completely  black  when  I  started  out  with  them.  So  I  cleaned  them  up,  but  they  didn't  clean  up  very  well,  so  I  first  put  some  Amaco  antique   white   rub'n  buff  on  them  and  then  some  Blue  Stream   Alcohol   ink  over  that,  which  was  very  intense.  So  then  I  just  rubbed  a  lot  off  with  91%  alchohol,  and  it  brought  some  of  the  shiny  brass  out--


----exactly  what  I  was  going  for!
And  a  big  Thank  You  to  Tim  Holtz  and  Basic  Grey  for  these  very  cool  embellishments--

  So  in  the  end--these  are  prints  of  my  art,  but yet  still  original  art  pieces-


This  is  only  one  way  that  you  can  print  out  your  art.   Another  way  is  with  Lazertran Transfer  paper  for  inkjet  printers  (they  also  have  it  for laser  printers  too).   Lazertran  is  decal  paper.  Once  you  print  your  image  out  on  this  paper,  you  soak  it  no  more  than  a  minute  in  water  and  it  slides  right  off,  and  it's  a  bit  transparent.  But  you  can  make  it  really transparent  if  you  follow  the  special  directions  that  come  with   the  Lazertran  papers.  I  have  yet  to  do  this,  but  I've  printed  out  on  Lazertran  before.  I  use  it  sparingly,  because  it's  costly.   Or  I  have  tried  printing  out  on  scrapbook  papers  also.  This  you  have  to  fool  around  with,  because  it  doesn't  always  look  good.   As  I  experiment  with  new  ways,  I'll  be  sure  to  post  them.   And  if  I  missed  anything  about  how  I  do  this,  just  ask  me!!

And one more thing--I want to  thank  Regina  from RGR Designs  for  this--

 I  appreciate  being  appreciated  by fellow  bloggers--Thank You  Regina!!

54 comments:

Silke Powers said...

How very cool! I've never thought of making art with printouts of my art! You are so clever and these two new pieces are just beautiful!! I love how you work so three-dimensionally. I'll have to branch out a bit, I think... Hugs, Silke

Elizabeth C. said...

What a fascinating post that was, and again you are so generous to take the time to share with us the details of your process. My jaw dropped when I saw where you were headed with the print + coordinating papers--last fall there was a large 2-day art festival here in Austin, Texas, and I happened across this one booth that I just had to leave with something, anything, but I didn't have much to spend. I ended up with a 4x4 hanging piece by this artist, and I keep it right by my work area. It is "Flowers & Insects" by Teresa Magel, one of her mixed media collage pieces. I really like how you took the same concept and made it your own, especially with those stencilled roses. It's very Diane!

pammyjo said...

You are absolutley THEE Creative.
These pieces are fabulous. You are so good about telling how you accomplish these beauties. :) Great post.

Jeanne Nelson said...

Thank you for sharing these detailed instructions, Diane. I hope to apply your tried and true techniques to reuse some artwork soon. The Lazertran paper sounds like something fun to try, as well. BTW, I LOVE how you use lace and doilies in your pieces with the glossy finish; it adds a beautiful touch. Big Hugs and Thanks ~~ Jeanne

WrightStuff said...

Oh yes I love Teresa's work - your interpretation is wonderful Diane and you've inspired me to try new things with existing creations when I don't have the feeling to make something new. You have such a wonderfully creative imagination Diane - you're a real inspiration!

Buffy said...

I love how you made new art with the old art. Gorgeous pieces.I love all the details you add on. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Tina said...

Oh wow, thank you so much for this. I learned alot. Your work has an "I wanna touch it" quality to it. What you did with you prints is so creative and it's so inspiring. Thanks again
T

glitterBugStudios said...

What an awesome idea! I have NEVER thought to do this! Love the new pieces. Your work is always a feast for the eyes in color and texture. Thanks for showing us this technique.

Micki Wilde said...

Diane you are so awesome at sharing all your knowledge, I love your little 'how to' blog posts!!

Awesome work

Micki x

Emelie said...

I am glad I understood most of what you said, I have not used some of the products you mentioned, I do like alcohol Ink.
The thing I always think of when I see your work especially the boxes is how you get everything so measured and so straight. It is always so perfect, neat, no smears or gobs just the best workmanship to detail and perciseness. (if that is a word)

I do love to work with the saturation and have a plan for quilting with somne of that low color. I notice that often people at shops or fairs do not even notice it isn't the same art as the original as they are about searching for color and the look of the work. I know tho that others really like to have the original piece. You do know I am sure that you can print your work out on fabric , yes i know you know that because now I remember the conversation about sewing and it not a favorite thing.

I di really like reading all this information. and BTW your camera does a great job. I am still working with that part of this work. It is amazing to me how different the photos can look.

Your a fun person Diane.

Marlene said...

Diane, thank you for sharing your process with us. I love the way the pieces turned out and now I can't wait to get my space back and get busy. I have used lazertran paper and love it!

HeARTworks said...

Great post! I love seeing what you do cause it's always so so good! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Great tutorial, I totally enjoyed that.

Janet Ghio said...

Love seeing how you use prints of your work. Do you add any additional paint to your faces?

Art by Darla Kay said...

Diane, you are amazing! I love these! Thanks for directing us over to Teresa's site, that was a joy to see! I definitely want to try this!

GlorV1 said...

Wow, what a great tutorial Diane. You just helped me out with ideas on decoupaging a metal cabinet I have in the studio. I think I will use copies of all the ladies and just do the whole cabinet and add other things. Thank you, thank you, thanky. :)) Have a great Wednesday.

Terri Kahrs said...

Wow, Wow, WOW!!! Your description of using your prints to make more original pieces is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise, Diane! Your pieces are beautiful!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Lynn Cohen said...

How generous of you to share all this info with us. I appreciate knowing and seeing how you create start to finished your beautiful art.
I learned many new things here today. Thanks, such is the beauty of blogging!!!

Unknown said...

Always something good to find here Diane! Thanks for being so generous! I wish I could've come to your show, glad it went well.
Much Love,
Jenny

Effy Wild said...

That was AWESOME. I photograph pretty much everything I do, but I hadn't thought of reusing prints in new art work. I'm inspired! :)

Monica said...

I think this is just fantastic Diane! Wonderful post and thank you so much for sharing. Talk about inspiration .... what a great inspiration you are! Lovely work!
Thank you so much for always taking the time to visit my blog and for all the nice comments you leave. I appreciate each and every one of them!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs
Ansota

Janet said...

Thanks for giving us a peek at how you leverage your art. It's something I know very little about. First I guess I need to have some wonderful art pieces like yours....that might be my problem!!

Brigitte aka Scrappassie said...

Fantastic, and thank you for explaining the 'how-to'! Sofar I only used my printed art on artist trading cards, and I glue them with medium and finish with a layer of clear gesso. Great to further work on and gives a nice texture. If I let my inkjetprints dry for 24 hours, the paint doesn't even run ;-)Anyway, love your art again, as usual !

kluless said...

This was a fun post! You really have a knack for stiring up the muse. Thank you for sharing.

Joella said...

LOOOOOOOVE both of these pieces :) Thanks for sharing !!!

Jennifer Grace said...

Wow, you are so inspiring Diane, thanks for talking us through the process. It makes my fingers itch to go and create something!

Beautiful pieces, I especially like the roses. xxx

Theresa MacNaughton said...

WOW - these creations are just amazing. I love that you fashioned new art from your existing art. So lovely, Diane! :) And thank you for explaining how you create these pieces and where you find inspiration from. :) Theresa

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane...thanks for the info about recycling art...I'm sorry I don't get by very often but every time I do...I'm in awe of how much art you produce and the quality of it...great art pieces!
Mary

Kelly Berkey said...

just gorgeous diane! thanks for the tutorial on how you do this. it is always fun to use prints and you really make them unique and special. precious works of art! have you beaded your pendants?/
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading that! Have you ever thought of writing a book about how you create your magical, perfectly wonderful pieces of art?

Heather said...

wow, these are amazing! How cool that you can make so much art from one original piece :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Although I'm really late getting here, I sure appreciate all the advice you gave in this post. I was really impressed with how much your changed the original art to something completely unique. Each step was detailed perfectly and I really enjoyed your process. Stunning art and such a generous post!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

thanks for sharing these step by steps. so useful and inspiring! your art is beautiful!

Healing Woman said...

The detail you gave in your tutorial is just as precise as your beautiful artwork. Thanks so much for sharing your process. The two original art pieces you made from your prints turned out so lovely. I'll bet they will sell at your next show..and quickly.

Thanks again,
Cheryl

Theresa Plas said...

Beautiful pieces D! Always inspiring! Very interesting reading about your methods and learning about other artists out there. Have a great Thursday:)

Susan HP said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the idea of "reusing" your own artwork, and changing it up a bit.

Pamela Holderman said...

Love the whole process and love to learn something new. I always forget I can redo my art in different ways in the printer... sheesh. I have an equivalent Canon too and it works great (after I learned to copy on best - not normal, that took awhile). Thanks for dreamin' big with me - your dreams really are coming true!

Unknown said...

Gosh Diane! I love this! I really need to make a few copies and see where it takes me. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hugs
Lisa D.

I hate to cook! said...

I just love your blog! I love how you share your techniques so generously...still intimidates me, but I love to know how all of this is done :) Love the colours of this one and I am sure someone will snatch it up right away...can you please put some art on etsy...I would definitely buy some pieces :)

Dorthe said...

Diane, thanks, for this "tutorial" so great to get new ideas, dear-so wonderfull how you added the laces with gel medium, and use this medium for all kind--we can buy that here,too---only it is kind of expensive...
XO, Dorthe

Zorana said...

I loved reading this post. Such an interesting way to re-use your artwork. As original as the original painting is. Very creative! xo

Beth said...

As always I am inspired. Thank you for volunteering so much information through your blog. I always learn something in the reading of it.

Dianne said...

These pieces are amazing!

E Makes Art said...

Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, because it brought me here to see your wonderful artwork! I especially love the last 2 pieces! beautiful and I really like the idea of using prints of my work to make more art. Also, yes, I HIGHLY recommend taking the Texture Town class, esp. since I see you like texture too!

xoEsther

MotorCityMystic said...

This turned out great! I like this so much, I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing your inspiration, Teresa Magel. Her work is wonderful. And thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I find it encouraging. It is very appreciated.

Regina said...

What fantastic tutorials! I love these ideas and will have to try this with some of my art. I have originals that I get attached to and love that I could apply copies to canvas in a new way.
Thanks for sharing!

Cathy Bueti said...

Diane these are great! I love your girls! Your work is always so cool! I love how you stenciled with molding paste to make those flowers!! I am always learning something new when I come by and visit you!

Thanks for your blog comment! :)

Jenny said...

Hi Diane!Just wanted to pop over and say hello and a big THANKYOU for your lovely comments and joining in my giveaway! :)I wish you luck!
Can i just say Wow! I'm sooo in awe of your artwork and your creativity in re-creating with them. There are so many techniques installed in just one piece...amazing! I must go and peruse the rest of your fantastic blog! :)

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Fascinating! Your amazing ideas are ever full of great creativity. I love the new /old images, you are a great talent and so inspiring.....beyond my reach.
Have a nice sunday,
hugs Anja

Lovey said...

This post has got to be one of my all time favorites! Wow! There are no words for genius and creative mind.

Griselda said...

Your work is so fantastic, and ever so inspiring!!

canngil said...

Hi Diane!
Just found this and i really learned a lot and was inspired by it all! Thank you so very much for reaching out and teaching us!

Les Créations du Paon d'Or said...

Thank you for this useful tutorial !

StampDancer said...

Freakin' wow! This is an awesome tutorial and I just love what you did - originally and with your re-vived art. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails