Friday, August 27, 2010

Packing Tape Transfer plus a Few Other Things

First  off--thanks  so  much  for all   of  your  encouraging  comments  on  my  metal  pieces--you  guys  made  my  week!   And  I  wanted  to  answer  the  question  a  couple  of  you  had  asked about  the  paper  punches--if  the  metal   will   dull   their  sharpness  or  break.  I'm  not  sure  if  it  will dull them  or  not  with  continued  use,  since  this  is  the  first  time  I've  done  this,  so  I'll  have  to  see  on  that  one.  The  one  thing  that  did  happen--was  with  the  flower  punch.  The  flower  punched  with  no  problem,  but  the metal  got  a  little  stuck  in the  prongs  in  the  punch  when  I  went  to  take  the  sheet  out.  I  just  cut  the  metal  away  and  pulled  the little  bits  of  metal  out.  It  wasn't  bad  enough  to  deter  me  from  making  more  metal  flowers.  I  love  the  way  these  turned  out.

And  also  a  few  had  asked  me  to  show  you  how  to  do  the  packing  tape  transfer--so  here  goes.  First  of   all,  it  won't  work  with  inkjet  copies, and  I've  only  done  the  transfers  with  magazine  or  glossy  catalog  images.  I  don't  know  about  lazer  or  photo  copies--has  anyone  tried  those?  So  I  wanted  to  show  you  3  different  images  from  different   types  of   books  to  see  if  there  was  any  difference  in  the  outcome  (kind  of  like  a  Science  experiment  back  in  elementary  school : )



I've  only  used  the  Scotch  brand  of  packing  tape  but  I  don't  think  that  it  makes  a  difference.  Starting  from  the  left--this  image  is  from  a  catalog--the  pages  are  thinner  which  makes  a difference  on  how  easy  the  transfer  comes  off.   The  middle  one  is  from  a  1949  magazine--the  ink  that  they  used  back  then  wasn't  as  good  so  the  transfer  isn't  as  strong,  and   the  paper  isn't  as  glossy, but  that  doesn't  seem  to  make  a  difference.  And  the  image  on  the  right  is  from a  current  magazine--acutally  it's  from  a  Somerset  mag.  I  wanted  to  use  a  magazine  that  had  high  quality  thicker  pages.  And  as your  looking  at  them  in  this  photo,  I've  already  put  the  tape  over  them.  You  just  put  the tape  on  top   of   them, and  then  cut   them  down  to  the size  of  the  tape--so  right  now,  they're  basically  in  a  laminated  state.  Make  sure  when  you  put  the  tape  on  them  that  their  nice  and  smooth  and  then   burnish  them  with  your  finger  or  a  credit  card,  which  is  what  I  prefer--burnish  them  good  so  you  have  a  complete  transfer.   Don't  tape  the  back  of  them!  And  make  sure  the  image  covers  all  of  the tape  but  doesn't  stick  out  past  the  tape.

Then  just  put  them  in  a  bowl  of  water  to soak--

Alot  say  that  they  only  have  to  be  soaked  for  about  15  minutes,  but  I  found  that  anywhere  from  45 minutes  to  an  hour  works  best  for  me.   You  just  take  them  out  one  at  a  time,  turn  them  over  to  expose  the  untaped  side,  and  just  start  rubbing  off  the  back  with  your  finger.

until  most  of  the  paper's  off--I  will  rewet  the  image  and  keep  rubbing  it  gently  until  it's  transparent.   I'll  also  put  them  under  running  water  and  GENTLY  continue  to  get  the  backing  off. Sometimes  all  of  the  backing  won't  come  off.  This  happened  to  one  of  the  transfers  and  I'll show  you  how  that  one  ended  up.

When  I'm  finished  with  them  I  pat  them with  a  paper  towel,  gently  again--because  they will   have  the  adhesive  from  the  tape  on  their  back  and  the  paper  towel  will  stick  to  them.  And  then  I'll  let  them  thoroughly  dry on  a  piece  of  wax  paper.  I  usually  do  a  batch  of  them,   and  I'll  store  them  in  a  plastic  baggie  in  a  single  layer.

So  what  I  did  was  decopauge  some  sheet  music  on  canvas  to  let  you  see how  they  look  over  it.  I  adhered  them  onto  my  canvas   with  matte  Mod  Podge  on  both  sides  (this  helps  get  rid  of  their  glossy  appearance,  because  they  end  up  glossy) or  if  you  want  to  keep  the  glossy  look,  just  use  the  gloss  Mod  Podge.  I  think  that  Matte  Medium  will work  also.  At  first  it  looks  milky,  but  it  dries  crystal  clear.  Here  are  the  results  of  my  little  experiment--


This  is  the  1949  magazine  image--like  I  said--a  little  faded,  but  still  pretty  good.

 
This  is  the  catalog  image  and  you  can  see  that  all  of  the  paper  didn't  come  off (the  white  residue).   But  sometimes  that's  what  you're  going  for--a  faded  shabby  look.

And  here's  the  Somerset  image.  This  came  off  the  best--should  have  known  because  it's  Somerset (Love  that  magazine!)

Here's  another  one  from  the  40's  mag.  I  really  like  the  black  and  white  image  over  the  text.  And  if  you  noticed  these  do  not  come  out  reversed,  so  that  means  that  you  could  do  text  transfers  too.  I've  also  read  that  for  bigger  pieces  you  can  use  clear  contact  paper  the  same  way  as  the  tape.  I  have  it--I've  just  never  tried  it--has   anybody  ever  tried  it?  For  some  reason,  I think  it  would  be  a  little  harder,  but  it  would  be  great  if  it  really  works--definitely  on  my  to-do  list.

I  hope  I  didn't  make  this  sound  too  complicated,  because  it  really  isn't.  If  you  have  any  questions--again  just  let  me  know.  And  it's  fun  to  experiment  with  different  images  and  then  using  them  in  your  artwork.  Some  you'll  like,  and  some  you  won't--so  try  it!

Now....I  want  to  thank  Jenny  for  this--


She  really  is  sweet,  and  I  want  to  thank  her  for  this  award--thank  you  Jenny!  Go  and  visit  her  creative  blog  here.

And  speaking  of  a  sweet  blog,  I  won  a  giveaway  from  Emma  Grace!--and  it  just  so  happens  that  I   found   it  in  my  mailbox  today!




This  is  from  her  Alice  in  Wonderland  series,  and  whoever  won  had  their  choice,  and  I  chose  the  Cheshire  Cat.  And  I  love  him!!--Thanks  Emma  Grace!   Your  blog  is  looking  good!!


And  finally,  it's  back  to  work  for  me.  I  have  a  show  in  2  weeks,  and  I  really  have  to  get  into  gear.  So  I  have  another  box  that  I  made.  After  I  made  this,  I  knew  what  my  next  box  was  going  to be.



Those  blocks  really  helped  make  this  box.  And  I  already  have  a  pretty  good  idea  for  my  next  box!

44 comments:

Sunny K. Lee said...

Thank you for the tips Diane. Transfer method is essential to mixed media artists~!!!

GlorV1 said...

Wow Diane! That's some post! Excellent! Who knew? :) I have to try that sometime. Thanks so much for the tips on this transfer method. I just never knew you could do this. Learn something new every day. I may have to refer to it when I get ready to try it. Thanks a lot. Have a great weekend.

Celestial Charms said...

Diane, those are wonderful tips you shared. The images came out great. I love your block box. So cute. Have a lovely weekend.
Maureen

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, the box is lovely. So colorful.

I want to expand on your tape transfers a bit. Did you use very warm water to soak the images in? I found that works the best. And I leave mine until the water gets cool, too. It doesn't hurt to leave them in a relatively long time.

I always start in the center of the image and work outward. You have less tearing that way.

Yes, I have some clear contact paper and often use it when making a tape transfer. The only bad thing about it is the weight. It's heavier than packing tape, so keep that in mind. It probably won't bother you unless you have some texture around the tape. Everything else is the same.

I can always tell how well a transfer is going to work by the first swipe. Some comes off with no trouble and some takes forever to get rid of the excess paper backing.

The hardest part for me is making sure the image is securely secure. Yes, that was redundant for a reason. I use the back of a spoon to get good coverage, and press in both directions. Oftentimes, the problem with the transfer is not in the paper, but how well you adhered the image.

I was told by several people you CAN use inkjet transfers. I tried it once to prove them wrong. It will work, but the images are not sharp and you lose a lot of detail. Like you, I don't recommend it, unless using the waterproof ink that Epson has.

Sorry I was so wordy, but you asked (grin).

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention that running water and paper remains can be hazardous to your drain. If nothing else, I hope the water is going into a bucket that you can empty outside.

WrightStuff said...

Thanks for sharing this technique. I've tried a few times in the past and it works great for a quick transfer and pretty successful too. I've always used magazine paper. Good call about the matte mod podge to get rid of the gloss - clever idea!!

Numinosity said...

I've been trying lots of transfer techniques since I won the Transfer Love giveaway at La Dolce Vita.
I haven't tried the packing tape on yet. I guess I better give this a try too now.
xoxo Kim

Dianne said...

Love the transfers! I've done these and caulk transfers... They are fun!

Mescrap said...

This techniques is so much useful for those not font in digital.

Unknown said...

Hey Diane,

Such a cool post! I haven't tried this technique but it looks like fun! Yours turned out great, thanks for sharing!
♥Jenny

ps: Thanks for the thankyou. :)

Isabel said...

That is too cool I will def have to try it! Love the box:O) have a great weekend!!:O)

Theresa MacNaughton said...

What an awesome tutorial, Diane! Thank you very much. I didn't know you could do this with packing tape. :) I'll have to try it! Theresa

Healing Woman said...

Diane I really appreciate your transfer technique demo. I also was glad to read Elizabeth's thoughts on this. I printed both and will try it soon. Your school box turned out wonderful I love the colors the squareness of it and theme.

Jeanne Nelson said...

Thank you, Diane, for sharing with us again, on another great technique; I will definitely be doing some magazine transfers in the near future! Your box is wonderful. The alphabet blocks are perfect for the feet and nob! Wishing you a joy-filled weekend.

Barbara said...

Hi,
What great and very helpful posts ... I have been enjoying the threads and all the new information!
Very, very best wishes,
Barbara

HeARTworks said...

Most of the time I use this technique on black and white photocopies- it works great! I like making a lot of transfers, attaching them to acetate and layering them. it creates really wonderful effects! My only problem is I tend to dry them on our mirror! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Buffy said...

That was so nice of you to share about the packing tape transfers. I love your boxes,this one is one of my favorites. The blocks really to add a nice touch to it.This will sell for sure. I love when you have a show because then we get to see all the good stuff first.Like a sneak peak.

jgr said...

Diane, what a great tutorial. I'm going to try it! Also thank you for your comment yesterday. To answer your question I think any spray adhesive will work. I used Krylon but I also have Super 77
and some ultra cheap brands. If you do try it I'd love to see it! Happy weekend!

Rebecca Anthony said...

Thanks for the demo Diane!! I tried some of these transfers over the summer and really love the result! I love the way you put the sheet music behind the images, it looks amazing!! I'm glad your cat arrived safely(O:
You are on a roll with these boxes, they are absolutely fabulous! Who would have thought that childrens blocks could be so artsy and cool, they are perfect for your boxes!

Anonymous said...

I forget about doing the packing tape transfers...I tried something I printed off of my printer...it was a black and white image. It worked fairly well. If you use some ivory tinted paper, it gives a vintage feel. I read somewhere to get rid of the shiny tape effect of this process, you could use some very fine sandpaper to take that shine off. I haven't tried that. I love and envy your energy...it's great!
Mary

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder on a technique I learned long ago but forgot !!

Regina said...

Nice details. Thanks for showing the different types of paper side by side.
I have used this technique just a bit using imagary printed on my laser printer (toner based copy.) and it worked quite well.

Cathy Bueti said...

Great post Diane! Wow! So much cool stuff to learn! Thanks for sharing so much of your process! :)

Nancy said...

You are just a wealth of information and so generous to share it with all of us....
I can't wait to try this transfer technique...yours look great..

I love the box; so original and clever...

Have a great weekend...

Heather said...

wow! its all so amazing! What an inspiring post. I love the layered look....

Dorthe said...

Diane,
your box, is fantastic-a wonderfull art collage,and so full of great detaiels, a beautifull "storybook".
I have already tried out the transfer, on tape, and it worked great for me,too--.-but I had not thought of the matte medium, to take the shine away,Thankyou, for that great idea--in some pieces this gloss is just too much.
So wonderfull posts, dear Diane, thanks very much.
Hugs, and happy evening. Dorthe

Unknown said...

Very cool. I love this post!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

wow, love the box! of course, I have been in the box lately - lol. Laser prints work really great with packing tape - I have both kinds and as you said, the ink jet doesn't work. It's probably the only transfer method I can do:)
thanks for the post!

sharon said...

I have always wanted to try this, still haven't, but you broke it down and made it look easy, so that is my goal for tomorrow! Thank you Diane for all your sweet comments too, and your constant sharing nature!

Lovey said...

Wonderful tutorial Diane! I love Transfers of All Kinds...Love the Blocks at the end too! Have a great show!

kluless said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I have tried the tape transfer and have never liked the shiny finish. Can't believe I never thought of brushing matte Mod Podge over the top. Good grief, it's not like it isn't sitting right there in front of me. Thanks for the nudge!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I tried it this morning, 45 minutes works great paper, just slid right off tape while in the water, transfer looks awesome.

Sunny K. Lee said...

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely and thoughtful comment Diane~

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

Wow! The transfers look great against the sheet music!! Thanks for the lesson, I'm going to have to give it a try:)
Tracy

Tina said...

Thanks Diane. I really appreciate your doing this demo for us. I really wanted to know how to use this technique. I'm possibly going to be assisting an art teacher in her first teaching job and I think this would be a great technique to share with her. Love the new box.
Blessings
T

rachel awes said...

what a great technique!
you are full of
gorgeous music note layers!
xox

manomij said...

Great post Diane!!
I am afraid to say I am a newbe to transfers so this gives me some great inspiration!!!
Xx

Jonny J Petros said...

Hi Diane, I love your box!!! Your posts are always so inspiring, your metal work is so neat.Thanks for the "how to" on the transfer tape--I love how organized your room is- I do one project and it looks like a tornado went through mine-have a great week Sincerely Jonny

Theresa Plas said...

Always interesting reading your blog D! I like how you did the comparison on different types of paper. Will have to do some experimenting here too!

Say It In Color said...

Diane, THANK YOU so much for the tutorial....you are a good teacher!!! Plus I love the box!!! Now to go and try the transfer my self...I honestly had never heard of this....learn something new everyday!

Sandy Coleman said...

Wow. How interesting. Thanks so much for sharing this technique. And I love your work. I'm so glad I discovered your blog.

Griselda said...

Amazing, this is a great idea, I can't wait to try it out!! I am also going to post it in my blog today. Thanks for sharing it with us, I know it takes quite a bit of to take photos and write it all out, you are very generous with your time.

Judith-Ann said...

Learned this technique with contact paper 100 years ago (okay not quite) in grade school. We actually made slide shows. Transferred images to the contact paper, cut them to fit in slide frames for the old carousel projectors. Great fun. Thanks for reminding me of the process for use in mixed media art.

Another thing that works is to print images onto tracing paper (works better with some printers than others - helps to tape the lightweight paper to a regular piece before feeding through). Cut out the image and use chosen medium to place. The tracing paper disappears almost completely with the Modge Podge or other medium.

LSG Industrial & Office Products, Inc. said...

Nice work! You may want to try using tesa tapes for your next diy project. Tesa Asia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails